Wednesday, November 9, 2011

An addition to my daily routine...

I haven’t had much time recently to work out.  And, it’s cold outside now too.  So I’ve started doing something at work to supplement what exercise I do at home (mostly biking). 

My office is currently on the 22nd floor of an office building that has 29 floors.  One day about a month ago we had a meeting on the 1st floor, so I decided to take the stairs down.  Needless to say, my legs felt like wet noodles afterward – especially after sitting for an hour in a meeting.  Going down so many stairs is much more difficult that I thought it would be.  The next evening, all of a sudden, I experienced leg soreness that I haven’t felt since high school. 

So I did it again 2 days later.  And by the 3rd day it became much easier.  I’ve been taking the trip down daily ever since.  A couple times, I’ve even walked up to the 26th floor (the highest floor open to the public) and then walked all the way down.  Pictures can help to tell the tale…


I start up to the 26th floor.






And then I spend a few moments enjoying the view.

Looking northward toward the Utah State Capitol.

Looking northeast toward the Avenues.

Looking east toward the University of Utah.


And then I head back down and start taking pictures again on 21.




























For the past week I’ve come to appreciate listening to something interesting on the headphones on the way down – it makes the trip more pleasant and much faster.

The Main Lobby

I think how difficult this would have been for me a year ago and am amazed at what I’m able to do now.  I can feel a difference in my leg muscles now too.

The next step is to take the stairs up when I get to work.  Good thing I love my job – or I’d never have the drive to get to 22...

1 comment:

  1. Ugh, I hate those stairwells. Going down a lot of stairs always makes my head feel funny.

    ReplyDelete